Booking Terms and Conditions
HI Canada is a not-for-profit, member-based organization whose mission is to build a community of conscious travellers who share a greater understanding of people, places and cultures through our network of hostels and people, and curated experiences that foster collective growth and development.
- To make a booking with HI Canada, guests will be required to provide personal information, including but not limited to, their name, address, contact phone number and email address.
- A reservation is deemed accepted only if HI Canada confirms its acceptance and provides a booking confirmation via the email address provided at the time of booking.
- When booking is in a shared room, HI Canada will make every effort to put people in the same room, however, this cannot be guaranteed.
Your fees and payment
- All prices quoted are in Canadian dollars ($ CAD)
- HI members receive 10% off Standard rates. Guests will be asked to present a valid HI membership at check-in to secure discounted member rates.
- All relevant accommodation taxes are included in the total value of the booking.
- Unless otherwise stated, all reservations must be secured with a valid credit card.
- If not prepaid in full at time of booking, the total balance of the charges must be paid by the guest immediately upon check-in at the hostel.
- All Prepay & Save bookings are payable at time of reservation, can not be changed and are 100% non-refundable.
- HI Canada reserves the right to pre-authorize credit cards without any written approval from the guest.
- If a guest made an Express Booking and are travelling with children and/or staying in a private room, the total cost of the booking may be subject to change based on the total number and age of guests. Guests are invited to provide guest details prior to arrival to obtain an exact total cost of stay.
- Unless otherwise stated, guests may cancel their booking without charge if notice is given to the hostel by 11:59pm (local time) the day before arrival. Select wilderness hostels require at least two days notice to cancel a reservation.
- If the Guest fails to give sufficient notice of cancellation or fails to arrive (no show) at the hostel, the entire booking will be deemed cancelled and the Guest must pay the hostel an amount equivalent to the first night’s stay at the hostel.
- If the booking is prepaid and non-refundable, in the event of a cancellation for the booking, all charges applicable to that booking remain payable in full.
- HI Canada, may at any time, cancel a booking if the hostel becomes unavailable due to circumstances outside of its control; in which case HI Canada will pay the Guest a full refund for any charges or fees already paid.
- HI Canada, may at any time, cancel the booking if payment details provided by the guest is invalid and the guest fails to provide alternative valid details.
Your Hostel Stay
- Depending on the hostel, check-in time at the hostel is 4:00 or 5:00 pm. Check-in prior to this time may be offered subject to availability. Guests are invited to store luggage and belongings in the hostel’s secure storage area until the designated check-in time.
- A valid, government issued photo ID for every guest must be presented at check-in.
- A valid HI membership card must be presented at check-in or purchased at the front desk to secure any discounted member rates booked at time of reservation.
- Check-out time at the hostel is 11:00 am. Later check-out times may be possible by prior arrangement, is subject to availability and may be subject to additional fees.
- HI Canada does not accept bookings made by those under the age of 18. Guests between 16 to 18 years wishing to stay at the hostel will require written consent from a parent or legal guardian.
- Children aged 12 and under can only stay in private rooms or privatized dorms when accompanied by a parent or guardian. Children aged 13 to 17 can stay in shared accommodation if accompanied by a parent or guardian. Failure to adhere to these age policies will result in an automatic cancellation of your booking.
- As an accommodation property for travellers, many hostels in our network do not accommodate locals.
- No animals are allowed in the Hostel, with the exception of certified guide or service dogs.
- Hostels have maximum stay limits. Please contact the hostel directly to inquire. Should you wish to stay longer than the maximum allowed, you may request this with hostel management. Approval of extension requests are at the sole discretion of the hostel manager and may vary from hostel to hostel.
- Guests displaying Covid-19 symptoms, such as a fever, new or worsening cough, will not be accommodated.
- HI Canada cannot accommodate travellers subject to mandatory quarantine requirements.
Our Code of Conduct
- To ensure a comfortable stay, Guests are required to conduct themselves in a reasonable and responsible manner at the Hostel and must not act in any way which may disturb other guests. Failure to adhere to this requirement may result in Guests being asked to leave the Hostel in which event all Charges and Additional Charges shall become immediately payable by the Guest.
- Smoking is not permitted inside the Hostel.
- The Guest will be responsible for any loss or damage caused at the Hostel by Guests or visitor(s) of the Guest. The Guest may be liable for HI Canada’s reasonable cost of repairing, cleaning or replacing any property of the hostel which is damaged, soiled or lost by the Guest.
HI Canada’s Liability
- HI Canada, its employees, contractors, and HI Canada Affiliate Hostels accept no responsibility for personal accidents, injury suffered or loss or damage to personal property while on hostel property. Travel Insurance is recommended.
Right to refuse to accommodate
- HI Canada, its managers and staff retain the right to refuse accommodation at any time.
Personal Data and Privacy
- HI Canada’s treatment of guest data follows the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act. (PIPEDA)
- By booking with HI Canada, the guest hereby consents to HI Canada collecting their personal data, such as name, surname, email address, phone number, address, credit card details and IP address.
- The personal data collected by HI Canada is used for the performance of the booking contract, maintaining the safety of all guests, marketing and as a basis for statistics.
- As a customer of HI Canada, you agree to receive marketing information via email and other digital channels.