Working in Canada

All the programs that can kickstart your canadian life chapter

So you want to leave your country to come work at our Canadian hostels, but you don't know where to start? We know that navigating visas and permits can be overwhelming - that's why we've put together a few options for you to explore.

At HI Canada, we frequently hire temporary foreign staff for our hostels and our HR team knows the drill. If you're interested to come to Canada and work at one of our hostels, have a look at these amazing programs below:

1. International Experience Canada

If you are 18 to 35, you might qualify under the Working Holiday or Young Professionals category of the International Experience Canada (IEC) program to come work in Canada for up to 2 years. It is a government program designed to help you:

  • gain valuable international work experience
  • improve your language skills in English and French
  • work in Canada and fund the trip of a lifetime

2. Francophone Mobility Program

If your habitual language of daily use is French, the Francophone Mobility Program allows you to easily obtain a permit to work for us.

For the purposes of this program, being Francophone means that you:

  • speak French fluently
  • can prove that your French is at least at the intermediate level

The perks of this program? It can be for any duration of employment and this work permit can be renewed numerous times.

If your spouse or common-law partner wants to work in Canada, they may also be able to apply for an open work permit. Your dependent children can also go to school while you’re working in Canada.

3. Permanent Residency Express Entry

If you are working in Canada and want to stay on a more permanent basis, many options exist.

You can start by creating a profile in the Express Entry program. This program is based on points you obtain depending on your skills and experience.

You speak both English and French? You could get additional points for your proficiency in your second official language and you could also earn up to 50 additional points for strong French language skills (notwithstanding whether French is your first or second language).

Once you are invited to apply, permanent residence applications submitted in the Express Entry program are usually processed within six months or less.

4. Alberta Advantage Immigration Program

The Alberta Advantage Immigration Program (AAIP) could also be an option for you if you qualify for the Alberta Opportunity Stream which helps foreign workers with work experience in Alberta obtain permanent residency in Canada. Candidates must meet minimum eligibility criteria related to residency and work permit type, occupation, language, education, Alberta job offer and work experience.

Whichever path you choose, we're here to help. You can also start by sending us your resume and getting in touch with our HR team who will be happy to explore the possibilities with you.

View our current openings