How to hostel in 2020
Times have changed a little bit, eh? We’ve made a lot of changes at our hostels to ensure our guests and staff are safe and comfortable. Hostelling may look and feel a little bit different than it used to, so here’s what you can expect when you stay with us for now.
- You’ll find clear signage and floor instructions around safe physical distancing measures. We ask that any individuals not travelling together maintain a two-metre distance from others, including staff, or wear a face mask when using our communal areas (i.e. kitchen, dining room area, lounge area, etc.).
- We have glass barriers at front desk
- We require all guests and staff to use a face mask where distancing isn’t possible. You can bring your own or purchase one for a small fee at the front desk.
- Low- or no-touch payment options are available and encouraged.
- All high-touch surfaces will be frequently disinfected, including payment terminals and key cards.
- We’ll ask to collect or confirm your phone number and email address, to be used for contact tracing purposes if necessary.
- We may also ask you a few questions about symptoms and travel history. Guests experiencing Covid-19 symptoms will not be accommodated. We also cannot accommodate travellers subject to mandatory quarantine requirements or those who have arrived in Canada within the previous 14 days.
- You’ll receive a check-in slip with your assigned room and bed (if you’re in a shared room) and more helpful info about the hostel.
Your Dorm Room
- Capacity in our shared rooms has been reduced by half so there will only be one person in each bottom bunk, unless you’re travelling as a group and the only occupants in the room, in which case you can use all of the beds.
- Your bedding and towel will be waiting for you on your bed. They’ve been freshly washed and sanitized in hot water.
- We ask all guests who check out to put their flat sheet, fitted sheet and pillowcase in an orange laundry bag that is provided in your room when it’s time to check-out, and open the window in your room.
- Dorm guests must leave the room between 11 am and 5 pm every day, unless all guests in the room are travelling together
- Our housekeeping team will only access shared rooms upon a guest’s check-out.
- Single-use items have been removed from all rooms.
Your Private Room
(including private dorms)
- Your bed will be made for you upon arrival. Rest assured that all bedding and towels are washed at high temperatures between guests.
- Please put your flat sheet, fitted sheet, towel and pillowcase in the orange laundry bag that is provided in your room when it’s time to check-out and open the window in your room.
- There will be no housekeeping in private rooms during your stay.
- Each room is thoroughly cleaned and disinfected between guests.
- Single-use and decorative items have been removed from the room.
- We’ve reduced the maximum occupancy of all shared spaces, including bathrooms. We have installed signage specifying the maximum allowable number of guests in the bathrooms at any time.
- We’ve installed plexiglass barriers in all our shared spaces, including bathrooms. This will ensure that there is a physical barrier where a two-metre distance cannot be guaranteed.
- We also strongly recommend wearing your face mask while using our shared bathrooms.
- Please be mindful of other guests waiting to use the facilities.
- We’ve reduced the maximum occupancy of our kitchens to allow guests to maintain a safe two-metre distance from one another. We’ve also added an outdoor kitchen station with a sink and cooking elements for extra space. Unfortunately, there may be times when not all guests are able to use the cooking facilities during their stay.
- Face masks are required while meal-prepping in the kitchen.
- Sign-up for a pre-scheduled time slot to cook in the kitchen, using the sign-up sheet near the entrance to the kitchen.
- The cooking areas will be available for one member of each travelling group as follows: 30 minutes between 8 and 10 am, 30 minutes between 11 am and 2 pm, and one hour between 5 and 9 pm.
- Between these times, the kitchens will be closed for thorough cleaning and disinfection.
- Please wash your dishes, drinkware, cutlery and cookware using the sanitizing cycle in our dishwasher. You’ll find instructions posted in the kitchen.
- Where facilities allow, washed dishes will also be further sanitized using the hostel’s dishwasher.
- Capacity in dining areas has been reduced to maintain two-metre distancing between individuals or those travelling together. We have also installed plexiglass barriers on our dining tables to ensure maximum safety.
- While only one member of a group can use the kitchen at one time, you can all eat together.
Around the Hostel
- Hand sanitizing stations have been placed in key areas of our hostels.
- You’ll find signage indicating our reduced maximum occupancy posted near all common areas, including our kitchen, dining room, BBQ/patio, bathrooms, lobbies and lounges.
- Some furniture may have been moved or removed to facilitate physical distancing measures (which don’t apply to individuals travelling in a group).
- Please be mindful of posted signage and staff instruction around the use of these spaces.
- These spaces will be cleaned and disinfected frequently, with an emphasis on high-touch surfaces.
- Hostel games, such as pool and darts, aren’t available for now. Group activities have been temporarily suspended. Outdoor activities, like BBQs and campfires are still possible where proper distancing can be maintained. Please check with our front desk for beaches that allow campfires.
Food & Beverage
- Free coffee and tea stations as well as our pancake station have been removed.
- We’re here for you! If ever you have any questions about how things work, we’re happy to help.
- We’ve undergone additional training to ensure we’re able to enforce the measures laid out above.
- We do a self-health assessment before each shift to ensure we’re symptom-free.
- We’ll wear masks, gloves and other PPE where necessary and appropriate.
- We maintain our own physical distance from one another wherever possible.