How to hostel
Times have changed a little bit, eh? We’ve made a lot of changes at our hostels to ensure our guests and staff are safe and comfortable. Hostelling may look and feel a little bit different than it used to, so here’s what you can expect when you stay with us for now.
- We require proof of COVID-19 vaccination.
- You’ll find clear signage and floor instructions around safe physical distancing measures. We ask that any individuals not travelling together maintain a two-metre distance from others, including staff, wherever possible, no matter where you are in the hostel.
- We have plexiglass barriers at front desk
- We support the use of face masks where distancing isn’t possible. We have some available for a small fee at the front desk.
- Low- or no-touch payment options are available and encouraged.
- All high-touch surfaces will be frequently disinfected, including payment terminals and key cards.
- We’ll ask to collect or confirm your phone number and email address, to be used for contact tracing purposes if necessary. We also recommend using Alberta’s contact tracing app if you’re visiting a hostel in that province.
- We may also ask you a few questions about symptoms and travel history. Guests experiencing Covid-19 symptoms will not be accommodated. We also cannot accommodate travellers subject to mandatory quarantine requirements.
- You’ll receive a check-in slip with your assigned room and bed (if you’re in a shared room) and more helpful info about the hostel.
Your Private Room
(including private dorms)
- Your bedding will be waiting for you on your bed. Rest assured that all bedding and towels are professionally laundered at high temperatures between guests.
- There will be no housekeeping in private rooms during your stay. If you require extra linen or toilet paper during your stay, please contact the front desk.
- Upon check-out, please remove the linen from your bed, place in the provided bag and tie shut (a hamper will be provided for each room). Please remove all personal belongings from your bathroom and room, put garbage items in a plastic bag and leave it tied outside your door next to your laundry hamper. We would also appreciate it if you could please leave the windows open for extra ventilation upon leaving. Please leave your room key on your pillow and phone/text the front desk at 250.423.6811 so they can time their cleaning schedules accordingly.
- Rooms will be left vacant for three hours after guests check-out, to ensure the safety of our staff and arriving guests. Each room is thoroughly cleaned and disinfected between guests.
- Single-use and decorative items have been removed from the room.
- We’ve reduced the maximum occupancy of all shared spaces, including bathrooms. This may mean some sinks, toilets and urinals are taken out of service to give guests a bit more room.
- Please be mindful of other guests waiting to use the facilities.
- Each dorm room will have its own shower cubicle assigned to it.
- We’ve reduced the maximum occupancy of our kitchens to allow guests to maintain a safe two-metre distance from one another. Unfortunately, there may be times when not all guests are able to use the cooking facilities during their stay.
- The cooking areas will be available for one member of each travelling group as follows: 30 minutes between 7 and 10 am, 30 minutes between 11 am and 2 pm, and one hour between 5 and 10 pm.
- Reserve your cooking time at the front desk.
- Between these times, the kitchens will be closed for thorough cleaning and disinfection.
- Please note guests will be required to provide their own basic cutlery and dishes, or you can purchase a dish tote with cutlery, mugs and plates at the front desk for a reasonable cost.
- After using the kitchen please take your cutlery with you. Please completely wash any pots and pans with hot soapy water, place in the dishwasher, which has the required sanitary cleaning solution, wait to air dry and put back on shelf. Please wipe all counters completely with the provided cleaning disinfectant and put used washcloths in the provided bucket. Staff will be checking the kitchen and wiping surfaces regularly throughout the day and evening.
- Please feel free to use the complimentary hand sanitizer provided in our kitchen area, and if you need extra dish cloths, please notify reception.
- Capacity in dining areas has been reduced to maintain two-metre distancing between individuals or those travelling together. While only one member of a group can use the kitchen at one time, you can all eat together.
Around the Hostel
- Hand sanitizing stations have been placed in key areas of our hostels.
- You’ll find signage indicating our reduced maximum occupancy posted near all common areas, including TV rooms, games rooms, lobbies and lounges.
- Some furniture may have been moved or removed to facilitate physical distancing measures (which don’t apply to individuals travelling in a group).
- Please be mindful of posted signage and staff instruction around the use of these spaces.
- These spaces will be cleaned and disinfected frequently, with an emphasis on high-touch surfaces.
- Hostel board games and books are unfortunately unavailable for now. If you would like to use the pool table or ping pong table, please contact front desk for balls, bats and pool cues. They will be thoroughly disinfected after each use. Please note these areas are available for use to members of your own pod (max. 6 people).
Food & Beverage
- Capacity at The Kodiak Lounge has been reduced and seating has been redistributed to maintain a two-metre distance between diners who aren’t travelling together.
- Tables and stools are sanitized before and after each guest and high-contact areas such as washrooms are sanitized frequently and diligently throughout the day.
- Please use our complimentary had sanitizer found throughout the bar and follow social distancing floor markers.
- Please do not move chairs in the bar, and ask our staff if you require extra chairs.
- We’re offering table service only and trying to limit the number of people moving around the bar. Please place glasses at the end of your table.
- Contactless payment is available and recommended.
- We’re here for you! If ever you have any questions about how things work, we’re happy to help.
- Our staff are fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
- We’ve undergone additional training to ensure we’re able to enforce the measures laid out above.
- We do a self-health assessment before each shift to ensure we’re symptom-free.
- We’ll wear masks, gloves and other PPE where necessary and appropriate.
- We maintain our own physical distance from one another wherever possible.