Maintenance Clerk - Handyman
Be responsible for all aspects of hostel maintenance in accordance with the Hostelling International mission statement, and communicate ideas on an ongoing basis with the hostel manager. The Maintenance person assists the Quality Assurance Manager in ensuring a superior product that will meet the needs of both the customer and HI Toronto standards. He/she is responsible for knowing, understanding, and communicating the company’s policies and procedures.
Embrace new challenges:
- Ensure a functional facility at all times in areas of Building Maintenance; Health & Safety; Emergency Procedures; Emergency Lights and Building Access
- Be an active member and leader of the hostels Joint Health and Safety Committee
- Implement and follow-up of regular inspections involving all maintenance and cleaning of the facility
- Ensure ongoing communication with Hostel Manager via use of reports, email, and staff meetings
- Initiate and manage third party relationships. Example: Cleaning Contractor and third party suppliers
- Implement day-to-day maintenance tasks
- Proactively manage, evaluate and ensure building maintenance is running smoothly through use of the maintenance log and communication with the Manager, Front Desk Supervisor and the Front Desk Associates
- Complete all preventative maintenance tasks on time and document within the HI-Q program
- Provide feedback regarding customer complaints, suggestions, staff concerns, safety issues etc.
- Assist the Manager in creating applicable hostel budgets which include furniture, equipment and supplies
- Proactively address any and all upcoming issues in these areas
- Manage and control budget expenditures
- Participate in long-term strategic planning and assist the hostel Manager with capital project planning, implementation and weekly supervisory meetings.
We want you if YOU have:
- The ability to communicate effectively (oral and written)
- The ability to understand and implement building maintenance
- The ability to understand and manage monthly budgets
- The ability to remain composed during high-pressure situations
- Skills in time management and organization techniques
- The ability to develop and maintain an effective filing system
- Previous maintenance experience in commercial facility
- Any experience in a professional fiels (an asset).
Critical success factors:
- Positive and friendly, self-confident nature
- Patience to deal calmly with continual demands
- Ability to make quick an appropriate decisions
- Alert mind with attention to details
- Ability to cope with stress
- Physically able to perform job without injury.
Working with us will include:
- Wage starting at $17-$19 depending on experience
- Health benefits and retirement savings plan*
- A great team in a flexible environment*
- Paid continuing education*
- The organization of work may vary according to the tourist season.
If you think you're just the person we're looking for, then please send us your resume and cover letter today! (Please note this site uses pop-up windows)