FacebookTwitterLook at our InstagramYoutube

HI News

Working and Studying Abroad

Okay, here it is: you're Canadian, you're hungry for travel, and you want to gain work experience, or perhaps just defray the cost of your trip just a little bit. Fortunately, you've got plenty of options, and lots of help.

If you're between the ages of 18 and 30 (35 in some cases) there are a wide variety of programs available through International Youth Programs which are designed to provide skills and training and exposure to foreign cultures.

Some brief descriptions of different programs:

Working Holidays

Get a work permit which allows you to work part-time in your destination country to supplement your travel expenses.

SWAP (Student Work Abroad Program)

A working holiday program for university and colleage students. Programs apply for Australia, New Zealand, the United Kingdom, Europe, Jamaica, Japan, South Africa and the United States.

Young Workers' Exchange

Gain paid professional experience in a host country.

Co-op Placements

University and colleage students can register co-op placements with international companies in many countries.

Young Professionals International is a resource for unemployed or underemployed postsecondary graduates looking to get their career started. It provides paid career work experience that is meant to lead to long-term employment or self-employment.

For more information on international youth employment programs, including links to the two resources mentioned above, check out this page at the site for the Department of Foreign Affairs.

Site MapPrivacy PolicyEnvironmental statementWeb Advertising Policy© 2014 Hostelling International-Canada. All rights reserved