Jobs and Internships
Want to join a dynamic team of laid-back, fun and charming people? See below if we have any available positions or apply to become a volunteer!
The assistant-manager is the partner in crime of the hostel's General Manager. Together, they run the ship and make sure everything runs smoothly in each department as well as ensuring an optimal guest experience. Reporting to the Regional Operations Manager, the Assistant Manager is responsible for all aspects of hostel management in accordance with HI-Toronto Hostel's policies procedures and mission statement. Key Responsibilities
- Oversees all daily front desk operations: reservations, guest services and coordinates with other departments;
- Assist the hostel manager in all activities related to the operations of the hostel including (but not limited to) Front Office Operations, housekeeping, purchasing, health and safety, website updates, Customer service, inventory;
- Participate in the recruitment process to ensure performance;
- Help set and monitor customer service, performance and sales objectives with staff; Implement customer service training;
- Participate in staff evaluations and training;
- Participate in the treatment of complaints and follow ups;
- Participate in the maximization of the availability and location of the beds and rooms at the hostel and Internet booking sites and help develop new booking online opportunities;
- Create a positive and fun atmosphere for guests and staff;
- Ensure a good team communication;
- Produce and provide monthly reports;
- Manage Hostel operations in the absence of Regional Operations Manager or replace missing staff as required when needed;
- Perform other similar duties;
- Participate in the preparation of events and activities.
Skills and Qualitifications
- Ability to communicate effectively (oral and written) in both English and French;
- Skills in time management and organization techniques and sense of initiative;
- Ability to understand the needs of guests and staff;
- Ability to handle high-pressure, stressful situations;
- Ability to provide excellent customer service and teamwork;
- Knowledge of effective conflict resolution techniques and customer retention;
- Knowledge of risk management;
- Ability to multi-task and handle multiple work demands;
- Human Resource management and health and safety knowledge;
- Basics social media knowledge;
- Leadership and capacity of decision-making
- Relevant work experience in supervisory/management position and/or hospitality or hostel industry and/or budgeting/expense control.
- Salary: $39 000 - $47 000;
- Group benefits and retirement savings plan;
- Discounts at all HI hostels in Canada (subject to availability)
- May work on evenings, weekends and holidays;
- Work schedule may vary according to occupancy levels.
- Post-secondary education, preferably in Tourism/management.
Think you've got what it takes to run a hostel? Send your resume and motivation letter to email@example.com .
VOLUNTEER AT HI-TORONTO
Love Toronto and want to share it with the world? We are looking for super fun volunteers to run activities and events for our guests at HI Toronto! The types of activities you will lead include our legendary pub crawl, walking tours, sporting events, quiz nights and much, much more. We love creative ideas- so let us know if you have an awesome suggestion for an event!
If you're interested in this opportunity, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your resume and a description of the activities that you would be fantastic at leading. Also, we would love to know why you are interested in volunteering with HI-Toronto.