Hostels affiliated with HI-Canada are regularly inspected for high standards of cleanliness, safety, environmental sustainability and available facilities. The level of services and conveniences will vary, but count on a clean, safe, friendly and economical stay no matter where you end up.
Assured HI Standards
Hostelling International's well-established Assured Standards means you can rely on a consistent level of services and facilities wherever you stay. All HI member countries are required to have in place regular inspection programmes. In addition the requirements of the Assured Standards Scheme are checked through visits to hostels by the HI Standards team. We also conduct regular "mystery shopper" programmes with budget travellers - these programmes check that customer service standards are met.
- Welcome - hostels are open to all. You can join if you are not already a member, and you can make advance reservations. Plus you will have access to essential facilities if the hostel closes for a period during the day.
- Comfort - a good night's sleep (including the hire of freshly-laundered linen if it is not included in the overnight charge), and sufficient washing/shower facilities. Meals are generally available, along with self-catering facilities and a food store close by.
- Cleanliness - the highest standards of hygiene wherever you travel.
- Security - for you and your possessions, including lockers for luggage and valuables.
- Privacy - in showers, washing areas and toilets. Most hostels provide single sex dormitories - although if requested, a mixed sex dormitory may be offered to people travelling together.
- Youth Hostel Associations also take great care to operate hostels in ways sympathetic to the environment.
HI-Q, the HI Quality Management System
HI-Q, the HI Quality Management System complements the well-established HI Assured Standards, and focuses on hostel management and operations. It takes "best practice" from quality systems around the world and tailors them to the specific needs of hostels. HI-Q enables hostels to consistently improve and deliver high standards to ensure you have a great hostel experience. HI-Q is a long-term programme that is now being implemented in HI hostels around the world. Only those hostels which successfully complete the programme will be certified and able to display the distinctive HI-Q logo - look out for it in the hostels you visit over the coming months.
HI-Q certified HI hostels in Canada
HI - Banff Alpine Centre
HI - Calgary City Centre
HI - Edmonton
HI - Lake Louise Alpine Centre
HI - Montreal
HI - Vancouver Central
HI - Vancouver Downtown
HI - Vancouver Jericho Beach
HI - Victoria
HI - Québec City
HI - Toronto